Asking the right questions can lead to the right conversation.
You've gotten the facts and taken the ID YOUR IRD 4-question screener. Now it's time to ask your doctor if ID YOUR IRD could be right for you.
ASK YOUR DOCTOR THE RIGHT QUESTIONS.
It's important that you and your family are informed before, during, and after the ID YOUR IRD initiative. Here are some questions to keep in mind:
- What does getting a genetic test involve?
- Is getting a genetic test like this one right for me?
- Who has access to my information?
- Have I had a genetic test before? What were the results?
- My ID YOUR IRD test results were negative or inconclusive. What now?
- My ID YOUR IRD test results identified one or more genetic mutations causing my retinal disease. What are my options?
Even if you're still unsure about the initiative, learning how to start the conversation with your doctor, and knowing what to ask, could help inform your decision.
GENETIC COUNSELORS CAN HELP.
Genetic counselors are available to provide valuable information during the testing initiative and help interpret test results. Once you have enrolled in ID YOUR IRD and provided your blood or saliva sample, your Patient Liaison from Spark Therapeutics can help set up optional, confidential telephone consultations with a genetic counselor for you.